We’ve sent this information via e-mail, but we’ve also provided the complete information packet here for your convenience.
Download packet PDF: 2017 Info Packet
Download map of Cottage Grove Middle School PDF: Cottage Grove MS map
STUDENTS & COACHES:
NOTE: Complete Meet schedules will be emailed to all team Coaches and Host/Facilitators soon. If you have not received your schedule by 5 p.m. Friday, April 14, please contact Sarah Sheldon at firstname.lastname@example.org.
10:30 a.m.: Arrive at Cottage Grove Middle School, 9775 Indian Blvd S, Cottage Grove, MN, 55016. Park in the west lot and enter through the “Gym and Pool” Door with your team. Follow the indoor signs to the appropriate destination.
10:45 a.m. – 11:45 a.m.: Team pictures will be taken in the Gym. This is also when student should eat lunch. Students need to be present for pictures – there will not be a later opportunity to take official team pictures.
- Two 10-ream photocopy paper boxes
- Your Competition Kit – double check before you arrive at State! Each team’s Competition Kit will be checked before they begin the Meet, so remove any unnecessary materials that may cause penalties for your teams and make sure they have everything they need.
- Your assigned PARTY in a Box item(s).
- A Program Manual
- Bag lunches for students and coaches
- Quiet activities for students during down time before and after Meet
You should know:
- The color of the Meet – Yellow, Green, or Peach – in which you are competing
- Your team letter
- When your team pictures are scheduled (rough order)
COACHES & PARENTS:
Do not try to talk to the team at any time after 10:45 a.m., not even before the skits. They may be subject to an Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalty if you do.
TWO TRAINED FACILITATORS/COACHES per team:
10:40 a.m.: Leave teams in the Gym with their bag lunches, quiet activities, Competition Kits, and photo schedule. You will not see your team again until after the Meet. A Guide will take teams to their appropriate Meet at noon.
10:45 a.m.: Report to the Library to register and become a Meet Facilitator. There will be a 8-team Challenger Meet, an 9-team Challenger Meet, and a 9-team Cross-Trainer Meet at State; they will run concurrently. Volunteer Facilitators will be working in either of the meets in which their team is not competing. You will receive your final facilitator packet at this meeting. Any last-minute clarifications regarding facilities, penalties, and other details will be covered first, before Facilitators break into smaller groups. (Tentative assignments will be posted shortly.)
BE READY to work in any event site. If you are assigned to a Face-Off! room as a computer operator, you should bring a buzzer-type scoring system and other equipment, such as a computer, if it is required to make the buzzers work. Readers, it would be wonderful if you could bring a second computer set-up; and you need pens.
Bring to Facilitator Meeting:
- Two 10-ream photocopy paper boxes
- Your assigned PARTY in a Box items (We won’t have extra items, and your team may receive an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty if you come unprepared.)
- A Program Manual
- A stop watch
We want to increase every facilitator’s comfort level at this important event. Let’s be prepared, and let’s have FUN! We are given a wonderful group of children to enjoy and observe as we help at these tournaments.
Facilitators will do the following:
- The “Face-Off Captain” will preview Oral and Written questions and determine whether any “Alternate Questions” will be substituted.
- Set up and test buzzer strips to make sure they are working well.
- Face-Off! readers will assist Host/Facilitators at sign-in.
Mind Sprints Facilitators:
- Meet with your “Mind Sprint” captain to preview the problem.
- Try to anticipate possible questions that may arise. Clarifications will be made at this time.
- Decide how the Mind Sprint will be set up.
- Set up your Mind Sprint.
P.A.R.T.Y. in a Box Facilitators:
- Facilitators from the Yellow Meet will pre-sort P.A.R.T.Y. items and take items to the rooms where they will be the Facilitators.
- Facilitators from the Green and Peach Meets will serve as P.A.R.T.Y. prep packers and will sort and deliver items to prep rooms, then move on to another assignment.
- Sorters for all three meets will be using the hallways outside the Library for all dissemination.
- Each team must bring two boxes with which to work.
- High school students will once again be trained to judge P.A.R.T.Y. in a Box presentations so coaches may attend their own teams’ solutions.
HIGH SCHOOL VOLUNTEERS:
Report to Room A-123/124 at your scheduled time to receive further instructions.
Meet at 10:00 a.m. in the Library to prepare your sites and receive materials/information. Only 6 coaches are named Host/Facilitators and Assistant Host/Facilitators. You will know if this applies to you.
FAMILY AND SPECTATORS:
You are welcome, but please sign in at the Information Table in front of the Cafetorium, E-106. You must wear a nametag with your name and team/school affiliation clearly visible.
USAT Staff will run the State Meet out of Room A-123/124. This is also the Score Room and Lost-and-Found. The day-of phone number is 612-743-7102.
Questions? Contact Executive Director Sarah Sheldon at email@example.com or 507-645-2560 (email is preferred and more reliable).
Team Photo Schedule
The lists below are the teams for each meet. The order has been set for competition, and for having photos taken by our professional photographer. The photo and press release will be provided via email to each team after the Meets.
Photos will begin at 11:00 a.m. and continue sequentially until the Meets start. If time does not allow for all teams to be photographed, photos will continue during the scoring break ONLY if necessary. All students and teams should be in attendance for team photos.
Yellow Meet Teams, Photo Order, and P.A.R.T.Y. items to bring:
Meet Letter Team # School (Location) P.A.R.T.Y.
A X001 South View MS (Edina) W
B X003 Annunciation (Mpls) M x2
C X017 Math/Science Academy (Woodbury) B
D X022 Cottage Grove MS (SWCS) C
E X032 Sartell P
F X037 Lewiston-Altura S
G X043 Byron (ZED) R
H X047 Kasson-Mantorville (ZED) R
I X062 Grand Rapids R
Green Meets, Photo Order (after Yellow Teams), and P.A.R.T.Y. items to bring:
Meet Letter Team # School (Location)
A C003 Annunciation (Mpls) W
B C009 St. Ambrose (Woodbury) M x2
C C031 Lake Middle School (SWCS) B
D C056 Kennedy (St. Cloud) C
E C070 St. Boniface (Cold Spring) P
F C072 St. Boniface (Cold Spring) S
G C086 Lewiston-Altura R
H C101 Pine Island (ZED) R
Peach Meets, Photo Order (after Green Teams), and P.A.R.T.Y. items to bring:
Meet Letter Team # School/Location
A C018 Cottage Grove MS (SWCS) W
B C032 Lake Middle School (SWCS) M x2
C C044 Valley Crossing (SWCS) B
D C046 Woodbury MS (SWCS) C
E C051 Clearview (St. Cloud) P
F C071 St. Boniface (Cold Spring) S
G C087 Chatfield R
H C105 Stewartville (ZED) R
I C110 Grand Rapids R